Union Canal Locks
Swatara Water Trail
Along the entire Creek are remnants of the Union Canal, operated 1828 to 1884. The canal once connected the Susquehanna River at Middletown with the Schuylkill River at Reading, following the Swatara and Tulpehocken creeks. The old towpath is still visible in many areas. Suggested by William Penn, the canal was surveyed in 1762. Much coal and iron ore were transported. One can find remains of locks and aqueducts by which boats descended to the Schuylkill River.
For the complete Trail Guide, click here: Projects/Swatara Water Trail.pdf
< - - - - What's Upstream? What's Downstream? - - - - >
|Return to the SCWA homepage|